Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Flight, Day 1 and 2

Well I had the best possible grad/going away party a girl could ask for on Sunday!! Lots of great food, good friends, drinking and even better grad gifts!!! I woke up early on Monday morning so that I would be super tired by the time my plane was in the air. Dad and I picked up Rusty (my godfather) at 12:00pm and headed to DFW. Got checked in and my bag was too heavy but it was clearly my day because I didn't get charged!!! I grabs some airport Fuddruckers and waited for boarding. Now I have only done some small flights so being that the plane was the size of a small community was a crazy sight!!! We started boarding at 9:30pm and after some sitting on the plane finally took off!!
Now here is where good day for flying fact two comes into play... No one was in the seat next to me!! Not only that I also go a WHOLE extra 3 seats in a row up for sleeping!!! It was awesome. They gave us a fancy gourmet TV dinner for supper and then another one for lunch but they were actually quite good. I got to watch awesome movies on my personal little tv too!! I watch the new True Grit and No Strings Attach. No Strings Attached was good but the new True Grit was quite the let down :( Needless to say if you can ever fly Qantas DO IT... they take awesome care of you!












16 hours later I see the coast of Australia and land for the first time in another country!! The sunrise we saw on the plan was like no other I have ever seen... colors I didn't even know the sun made. I have a few pictures but they don't do it even the littlest of justice!!




I got off the 16 hour flight and through customs to find Emily waiting on me!! She had a little sign with my name on it like in the movies LOL the we drove to my new home for the next 6 weeks. Em and Justin just moved into a new place so its under some renovations but that's OK!!! I love my room and the views are very pretty even though its just a neighborhood like at home. Once there I had all day to get settled in... got there at 6:30 am. I took a shower since I hadn't had one in a what felt like forever and then hung out with Justin while Em went to work. We went to Woolworth's for some groceries and Justin cooked Indian for supper... then off to bed!!!



Day 2
Today was my first day to actually get out and meet some people! Ala came and picked me up. She is the person I actually set up everything with. I went to the University of Queensland (UQ) Animal Science labs and met everyone that was there. I had to take an Animal Ethics Course so that I could work with Australia animals... it was complicated and way harder than necessary but it was really just more boring than hard. I also had to take a privacy policy quiz no problem there just once again very boring and ridiculous!!! I went out with everyone to lunch... Indian again but it was good I am just done with Indian food for a while!!!


After lunch Ala took me to the shops (a mall) to get some groceries. I also finally got a phone that works in Australia since my smart phone from home apparently isn't smart enough for international use!! My new number is 0011-61-4-1847-8139 you can call or text but remember it costs me so Facebook and Email works just as well....I just don't always Internet access :( I do most of the time though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment